Board of Education
School closings/delays email alerts:
If you would like immediate email notification of school closings, delays, or early dismissals then sign up for the WVIT NBC 30 School Closing Alert at: http://www.nbc30.com/closings. Follow the simple instructions outlined on their page and you will receive an instant email message as soon as they receive the information from our school district.
When the weather or other conditions are such that it is necessary to close school or dismiss school earlier than scheduled times, announcements will be made over local TV and radio stations WINY (1350AM), WESO (970AM), WILI (1400AM/98.3FM), WTAG/WSRS (96.1 FM), WDRC (1360 AM/103 FM), WFSB (Channel 3), WTNH (Channel 8), WVIT (Channel 30). Such announcements will be made between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. Please plan to listen to these stations when weather is questionable. An answering machine message will announce school closings as well. Use the Circumstances where children must be sent home unexpectedly, such as the weather, loss of electrical power, heat, water, or a combination of any of these, making it impossible to keep school in session, have occasionally caused school closings. Please listen to local TV and radio stations for information. Do not call the school. Phone lines are needed for emergency communications. Parents should not rule out the possibility of the loss of telephone communications in emergency situations.
Parents must have an emergency plan and review this procedure with their children:
- Discuss the possibility of emergency situations with your children and what to do should they arrive home to find parents gone.
- Make arrangements with at least two neighbors/relatives to have alternate places for children to go.
- Develop a method by which children may let themselves in the house if all else fails.
- Suggest the types of activities that the child might engage in that are generally safe, such as TV, reading, etc., rather than playing with games or becoming involved in activities where injuries might occur.
- A list of 2-3 emergency names and phone numbers must be on file in the main office.
There may be some, mostly weather-related, occasions during which the elementary school would need to dismiss before the middle school or Woodstock Academy. Emergency plans should account for this possibility.
WOODSTOCK BOARD OF EDUCATION MEMBERS
Cliff Davis--Vice Chair